Stuff

Jun 4, 2010

"My Streets Are Soft" (Love Letters To Tracey Emin)

In 2010 I created the installation "My Streets Are Soft" (Love Letters To Tracey Emin). It was exhibited at the Levy Performing Arts Center [P.A.C.] and Hippodrome Theater as a chaotic collage consisting of drawings, cassette and VCR tapes, books, photos, carved wooden knives, cigarettes, and various adhesive tapes. At the P.A.C. the collage was mounted to a faux wall I created. The installation spanned nearly of 30' and was 6' tall, nearly taking up the entire space. The gallery space at the Hippodrome Theater in Gainesville basically consisted of four unique and limiting wall shapes resulting in image and element reorganization. These changes helped me to see how meaningless the images and subject matter was to the overall organization, an idea that has forever been present in my work. The collage actually became an element, and this element was a reflection of disorganized work. I returned the installation to my studio and began to mount it to 6'x5'x4" panels. In keeping with the idea that it was nothing more that an element of disorganized work I began to consider a way to create a communicating theme that could run through it. I first decided that the panels would have to have another element of design. The center flow element works well in juxtaposition to the chaotic nature of the collage and I feel that it's 3-dimensional quality helps to emphasize the distinction. A series of linear color equations was added throughout the collage. The final step will be to glaze coat the collage element.


Installation at the P.A.C.















P.A.C.













P.A.C.













P.A.C.


















Installation at the Hipp.














Hipp.













Hipp.













Hipp.













Back in the studio and mounting the collage to panel.













Panels.












Center design element construction.













Center Elements:
VHS.













Silver.













Carved wooden knives.